Leave a comment
May 11, 2013 by Ryan S
- According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, manager Dale Sveum says that Edwin Jackson, Jeff Samardzija and Travis Wood need not worry about being sent to the bullpen when Matt Garza returns. That leaves Scott Feldman and Carlos Villanueva. I’ve obviously already speculated on this in my piece on Feldman from May 8, but Feldman pitches tomorrow vs. the Nationals and Villanueva on Tuesday vs. the Rockies. A solid start by Feldman could seal his spot in the rotation and doom Villanueva, though they each should get another start before.
- Garza will make his next rehab start tonight for AA Tennessee against the Birmingham Barons and is expected to throw around 70 pitches. In his last start, he threw 54 pitches over 3.1 innings, allowing one run on four hits. He’ll make a couple more starts before returning to the big league club for the first time since Jul. 21, 2012.
- The starting lineup for today’s game against the Nationals is: 1) DeJesus CF, 2) Castro SS, 3) Rizzo 1B, 4) Soriano LF, 5) Schierholtz RF, 6) Valbuena 3B, 7) Castillo C, 8) Barney 2B, 9) Jackson P. Jackson will hope to win his first game, or at least not lose his sixth, and maybe lower that 6.39 ERA a little bit against his former team.
- The Nationals lineup is as follows: 1) Span CF, 2) Bernadina RF, 3) Zimmerman 3B, 4) LaRoche 1B, 5) Desmond SS, 6) Espinosa 2B, 7) Moore LF, 8) Ramos C, 9) Strasburg P.
- Darwin Barney continues to struggle at the plate, batting 0.153 now with just one hit in his past 24 at-bats. This equates to a 0.042 average, but he has still managed to walk six times in those eight games. So, despite his tear-jerkingly low batting average, Barney still has a 0.258 on-base percentage during that span. Now if only he can get the average up a little. Okay, a lot.
- P Kyuji Fujikawa returned to the Cubs yesterday and allowed one hit and no walks over one inning against the Nationals. All in all, good outing, and the bullpen went three scoreless innings last night, with Fujikawa’s hit being the only baserunner they allowed all night.
- The Cubs have traded IF Alberto Gonzalez to the Yankees for a PTBNL. Meh.
That will do it for now on some bulleted ramblings, expect an analytic article later. As always, go Cubs!